Thursday, October 14, 2010

Personal Update

I think everyone knows that I am having an amazing time. Wonderful. Fabulous. Couldn't ask for more or less.
It's perfect. And it's not even half way over.

I am trying to immerse myself as much as possible. I do this by opening all my senses to the new world around me. Sound weird? Yes, it looks weird too. I touch, smell and of course look at everything I can. When I walk by a building, a brush my hand against it. When I go by a flower, I of course take time out to smell it. I think if I not only see it, but touch it and smell it too this place will stay with me longer.

I just got back from a 3 mile run to start off my morning, I am training for the Athens Classic Marathon. The word marathon was inspired by an ancient soldier who ran from Marathon to Athens to deliver a message, when he finally handed the message off he murmured 'we won,' and the fell to death. I am honored to run this race, they will be celebrating their 2500th anniversary. The marathon alone capped off at 18,000 participants, and the 5 and 10K bring in at least another 10,000. The website states this is the largest number of registrants ever!! I can't imagine the amount of people. It will be amazing. I am running the 10K (6.4 miles here I come). I rounded up about 14 girls to do this with me, and I am very excited. We will all dress up, we are thinking we will decorate ourselves with balloons. Fun huh?

In about 3 hours I will leave for Turkey. I feel like I am running full speed into something I know nothing about. Turkey came so quickly, and I have no idea what to expect. I will be sure to take many pictures, and document everything so I can come back with lots of stories. Also, everything is very cheap from what I hear- so I will do a bit of shopping. Also, they like when you BARGAIN, this may turn out to be my favorite place. I do love to bargain.

More exciting news: : : I have the opportunity to go to Italy (Rome, Florence) for 4 days. It took me a while to make the decision of whether or not to go, but I got a couple pushes (thanks Kurtis) and I am going. Although money is tight, I mind as well do it. I always save 'for later,' but now is later, and I need to realize that and enjoy the time I have. I also have to realize I will never be able to go to Italy for this cheap, ever. I'm doing it.

I have so much to look forward too- it's almost overwhelming, but in a good way. I am going to miss seeing all my family during the Thanksgiving, and as much fun as I am having here home is still where my heart is. I miss my mom, sister, family, friends, and the kids I sit for. I think about all of you, all the time.

I am off to Turkey (Selchuck and Cappadocia) for 10 days. Gobble Gobble?




2 comments:

  1. What to expect from Turkey? Umm...Hagia Sophia for one. Remnants of the Byzantine Empire and the birthplace of the Orthodox church (Thanks Great Schism of 1054), Muslim architecture and minarets, shall I go on!? What an opportunity! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pumped for you to run the 10k. After the half marathon, this will be a breeze for you...plus you will have the motivating spirits of the Greek Olympians of centuries past motivating you onward.

    Also, great decision on going to Rome and Florence. It will definitely be worth it. Live now. Great philosophy.

    ReplyDelete