Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fira: Boat cruise: Winery

The town of Fira is what I imagined Greece as before I left. Tiny walk ways with shops and fabulous dining. We ate at a restaurant hanging on to a cliff overlooking the volcano. It was one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen. I love Greece.

Santorini has so much to do. But they say if you go you should do a boat cruise, and go to the Winery. My mom and I conquered them both. . . In one day.

The boat cruise was delightful. We sailed around the island and at one point we could see the entire island wrapped around us. We were were able to see the red, white, and black beach. We also were given the opportunity to swim to the hot springs, and immerse ourselves in the warm and healing waters. The volcano produces sulfur mud which is said to be good for the skin. My mom and I took advantage of the free spa-like qualities that people probably pay millions for and rubbed it all over our bodies.

On our way back we stopped at a point where we could enjoy the view, and we had a wonderful traditional style Greek barbecue.

When we got back to our hotel we decided to take advantage of our last day in Santorini and go to the famous winery- Santo Wines. We had 12 wines to taste with cheese and crackers for clearing your palate. It was a fun experience. I have established a taste for sweet wines, and my mom likes the dry red wines.

We went back to the hotel, and didn't sleep. We stayed up until 12:00am, and then took a taxi to the port. We caught a night Ferry to Athens (port Pireaus). We slept as much as we could. When we got to Athens we did a bit of shopping, then took the metro to meet Mary Petrides. Mary used her Greek hospitality, opened her home to us and we relaxed for the next couple days.

It was sad to see my mom go. Her leaving meant that I was really going to do this on my own. I tried to take the metro but they were on strike, so I had to take a taxi to my hostel. the hostel was not the greatest, but it did the job I guess. I met up with my classmates, and we had dinner and enjoyed Athens.

We woke up @ 5:00 am to catch our ferry. The ferry boat was nice, and before we knew it we would be in Paros: our home for the next 3 months.
On the boat cruise!

1 comment: